In addition to Meibomian Gland Dysfunction, which is the leading cause of dry eye syndrome, the following also can be causes of your dry eyes:
* The natural aging process. Surprise!
* Side effects of drugs such as antihistamines, antidepressants, and diuretics.
* Disease such as Sjogren’s syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis and thyroid disease can affect your ability to make tears.
* Decreased blinking due to computer and smart phone use.
* Irritants and exposure to dry, windy conditions
* Wearing contact lenses
Genetics may also play in the functioning of the Meibomian (oil) glands. A thorough discussion and medical evaluation by your eye doctor will help identify the complicating factors in your dry eye condition and appropriate treatment.